Monday, March 5, 2012

Tools--Prezi

In addition to be a place for reflection on my teaching, it's also a place to share new things I've learned or used.  One of these tools is Prezi.  When my husband first introduced me to Prezi, my response (like many of my students') was, "What's wrong with Powerpoint?"

Of course, you're familiar with Powerpoint.  It's easy.  You know how to use it.  If you work really really hard at it, you can make it sort of interesting.  But you know that it's easy.

You also know that most Powerpoint presentations through which you've sat have been boring.  Some may even have been drool worthy--the kind that brings you to fall asleep and drool all over yourself--because the presenter outlined some text and brought nothing of him/herself to the presentation.  In fact, you realized you didn't even need the presenter because everything was right there in the text for you.

I recently introduced Prezi to a group of students.  Some of them made the attempt, and complained about it. It's hard.  It's not as easy to figure out as Powerpoint.

But, look, they said.  I can be creative... look at this cool design I made!  Wow, I can work on the same presentation from a different computer or even at home!  This is really cool!

For whatever reason, those students who attempted Prezi generally brought more of their own understanding of the concept than their Powerpoint selecting peers in this group.  By their presentation, it was clear that they knew what they were talking about, rather than using the words of their source, which they'd outlined and then read directly from their Powerpoint.

As far as figuring out how to use Prezi, they have lots of tutorials to get you started.

Students can be as creative (or not) as they wish, but you'll discover that their presentations are that much more dynamic.  They have to plan in ways they do not in Powerpoint.  They can bring colors and videos in ways Powerpoint does not allow.

Plus they can collaborate.  And collaboration is awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for learning along with me!